LM324 IC: Pin Configuration, Circuit working, Features and applications
LM324 is an Operational Amplifier (Op-amp) consists of four channels. It is a very low-cost device that has true differential inputs. LM 324 is superior to the other operational amplifiers in the case of a single supply. It is capable of operating at the minimum voltage up to 3V and maximum voltage levels up to 32V.
The main advantage of IC LM-324 is that the common-mode input range includes negative supply which eliminates the need for external biasing. The negative power supply voltage is also included in the output voltage range. Ic LM324 is lead (Pb) free, halogen-free and RoHS compliant. It consists of four amplifiers units. It is conventional amplifier circuits, transducer amplifier, DC gain blocks, etc.
Pin Configuration of LM324
The pin configuration of LM324 is given below with full detail
- Pin1, 7, 8 and 14 are the outputs of comparator LM324.
- Pin2, 6, 9 and 13 are the inverting inputs of this IC.
- Pin3, 5, 10 and 12 are non-inverting inputs pins.
- Pin11 is the ground (0V) pin of the Comparator.
- Pin4 is supply voltage; 5V of this IC.
- Wide power supply voltage range: 3V to 30V is a very important feature.
- Very low power supply current (minimum): 0.8 milliamperes can b used.
- The normal output current each op-amp is 20 milliamperes typical (10 mA minimum).
- Output current that flows from the positive supply to output-pin: 8 milliamperes typical (5 mA minimum).
- Maximum voltage gain (typical): 100,000.
- Feedback resistors between output-pin and inverting (-) input.
LM324 IC Packages
The LM324 IC is available in four different packages.
- TSSOP package (5 x 4.4 mm individual dimensions)
- SOIC package (8.65 X 3.91 mm individual dimensions)
- CDIP package (19.56 X 6.67mm individual dimensions)
- PDIP package (19.177 X 6.35mm individual dimensions)
LM324 IC Applications
There is a lot of application of LM324. Some of the applications of this IC are as follows.
- Comparator IC is used in the robot-like line following
- It is conventional op-amp applications.
- Uses mostly amplifiers, oscillators, rectifiers, comparators, etc.