The 2N3906 is a commonly used PNP (Positive-negative-Positive) bipolar junction transistor used for general purpose low-power amplifying and switching applications. It is designed for low electric current and power and medium voltage, and its operating speed is very high. It comes in a plastic TO-92 compact casing. 2N3906 Pinout description, features, equivalent are given below in detail.
2N3906 Pinout description
The circuit symbol of 2N306 is shown in the figure below.
- PNP transistor remain normally OFF, but a small amount of negative current on base can turn it ON and helps in flowing large emitter-collector current.
- PNP will only conduct when the voltage at the collector side is much smaller than the voltage at the emitter side.
- Current at the emitter pin is the sum of current at the base and collector side.
- Bi-Polar junction: PNP Transistor
- Maximum DC Current Gain (hFE): 300
- Continuous Collector current (IC): 200mA
- Emitter Base Voltage (VBE): 5V
- Maximum Base Current(IB): 5mA
- Collector-Emitter Voltage (VCE): 40V
- Collector Base Voltage (VCB): 40V
- Available Package: To-92
2N3906 Alternatives Transistors
SMD Equivalent of 2N3906
NPN Complement of 2N3906
NPN Complementary of 2N3906 is 2N3904
Where to use 2N3906
The 2N3906 is a widely used PNP(Positive-Negative-Positive) transistor. It is very similar to the bc557 transistor only difference is that it has a high collector to emitter voltage. It is not suitable for amplifier circuits because of the gain value of only 300.
The 2N3906 transistor might be the right choice for you if you are looking for PNP transistor that could switch high voltage loads within 0.2A
- It is Used to switch high voltage low current loads
- Mostly used in the various switching applications.
- Inverter and converter circuits use this PNP transistor.
- Used in siren or dual Led or Lamp flasher.
- Also used in Darlington Pair.
How to Get Long Term Performance with 2N3906
For the good performance of the transistor, it is suggested to not operate load more than 200mA. 2N3906 Pinout must be checked before use. Always use a suitable base resistor and confirm the pin configuration before placing the circuit to place it right, must keep the temperature range -55 centigrade and above +150 centigrade.
2n3906 vs bc557
The 2N3906 is the most commonly used PNP transistor. It is almost similar to the bc557. the only difference is that it has a high collector to emitter voltage. This transistor is not suitable for amplifier circuits because it has only a gain value of 300.
2n3906 transistor datasheet
The datasheet of 2n3906 plz click