This article explain Display Processor in Computer Graphics. Display Processor is the interpreter or piece of hardware that converts display processor code into pictures. The Display Processor converts the digital information from the CPU to analog values. The main purpose of the Display Processor is to free the CPU from most of the graphic chores. The Display Processor digitizes picture definitions given in a program or application into a set of pixel intensity values for storage in the frame buffer. The digitization process is called Scan Conversion.
Parts of the Display Processor in Computer Graphics
There are four parts of the display processor as given below
- Display File Memory
- Display Processor
- Display Generator
- Display Console
Display Controller also called the Video controller used to control the operations of the display device. The functions of the display controller are:
- Handle the interruption.
- Interpret instructions.
- Manage time.
Display File Memory is used to create an image on the screen and visual object recognition.
Display Generator: The Two main functions of a display generator are.
- It is used for the generation of characters.
- It is used for the generation of curves.
Display Console: It is a combination of a display device and input devices. Such as CRT, keyboard, Light pen, and Deflection system.
Features of Display Processor:
- Display processors are used to performing operations such as different line styles, displaying color areas, and manipulating and transforming objects on display.
- Display Processor was used before the Graphics Display Processor (GPU)
- Video Controller is a widely used Display device that is based on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube).
- In addition to the system memory, Display Processor has a separate memory area.
Working of Display Processor:
The video controller in the output circuit develops horizontal and vertical drive signals so the monitor can be scanned.
There is a large number of Display Devices available to free the CPU from graphic chores:
- Cathode Ray Tube
- Random and Raster Scan
- Color CRT Monitors
- Direct View Storage Tubes
- Flat Panel Display Screen
- Lookup Table screen